Browse: All Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Bancroft House (subject file) | Archives and Special Collections Catalog

Bancroft House (1K-90)
Bancroft House (1K-90) (JPEG Image, 3.03 MB)
Download Original File

Request hi-res copy

Bancroft House (subject file)

Ashley A Bancroft built his home between 1832 and 1834 using sandstone quarried from Rose Quarry in the hill behind the house. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The style is Early Federal with a simpler roof, and the coupled windows are an unusual feature, found in only one other Granville home. The Bancroft House has been owned by Denison University since 1917. That acquisition, arranged by Edward A Deeds increased the size of campus by five, and included the land now occupied by the east quad, the Physical Education Center and playing fields, the north quad and Sorority Circle.

"[The Bancroft House] was the boyhood home of one of Granville's most distinguished sons, H. H. Bancroft who won national fame as historian of California and the West. ... Just prior to the Civil War, a barn, long-gone, on the Bancroft Property was the scene of the Anti-Slavery meetings that drew their attendance from all over the state." (Historic Homes of Granville, William Utter)

Phys. Desc:
Subject file contains clippings and photocopies of pages from books (primarily Historic Homes of Granville) and other archival files to be used for reference. A list of Bancroft houses in Granville is included, along with a bibliography of books that reference the Bancroft House and/or the abolitionist movement in Granville. Additionally, some correspondence, handwritten notes, an index of Bancroft mentions in the History of Granville, and a family history are included in the file.
SUBJ 001

Page Generated in: 0.043 seconds (using 119 queries).
Using 5.69MB of memory. (Peak of 5.88MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3 beta
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Hosted by LibraryHost